Shangri La Botanical Gardens and Nature Center is the perfect setting to explore with a group of friends, co-workers, your organization, family members, students or anyone else you choose. The diverse array of gardens and natural areas on Shangri La’s 252 acres offer a remarkable set of experiences that will surely make any Group Tour a truly memorable one.
Group Tours are offered Tuesday through Saturday by appointment and include a guided garden tour and/or Outpost Tour depending on the preference of the group. Children and others requiring assistance must have supervision at all times.
To request a Group Tour, please contact Marlene Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No entrance Fees for Group Tours, but donations are welcome to support our educational programs.
The Botanical Garden Tour is a walking tour of our formal landscape gardens led by a knowledgeable guide who provides information and interpretation about Shangri La. The walk is a little over one mile and takes approximately two hours. All paths are wheelchair accessible. A minimum of 10 people per group is required. Garden guides are contingent upon volunteer availability and cannot be guaranteed.
The Outpost Tour involves a short walk to the Nature Discovery Center where visitors are escorted to Shangri La’s boathouse to board a pontoon boat that takes a short journey along Adams Bayou to one of the Outpost Pavilions in the Cypress-Tupelo swamp. A knowledgeable guide leads the Outpost Tour and provides interpretation of Adams Bayou, wildlife, and the local area.
The tour takes approximately one hour and thirty minutes. All aspects of this tour are wheelchair accessible. A minimum of 20 people per group is required to reserve an Outpost Tour. Availability is limited to a maximum of 26 participants per tour vessel with a maximum of 52 participants per group.
Children under 4 years of age are not allowed on Outpost Tours.
For the enjoyment of all guests on the Outpost Tour, we ask that all cell phones be silenced and that passengers refrain from using cell phones or other electronic devices for the duration of the trip except for photography.
- A minimum of 10 visitors is required for a Group Tour of the Botanical Gardens and a minimum of 20 people for the Outpost Tour.
- The date of your Group Tour is reserved only after you have received written confirmation.
- All group tour participants must attend the same tour, though to accommodate large groups, group tour participants may be split among multiple tours.
- If a tour is canceled due to inclement weather, we will make every effort to reschedule it.
- In order to keep group tours on schedule, tour organizers are encouraged to reserve box lunches for their group at the Star and Crescent Moon Café instead of leaving the grounds during lunch. For details, learn more about box lunches.