The name “Star and Crescent Moon” represents a symbol for the new beginning in Texas that was sought by the ancestors of Lutcher Stark. This symbol was used by the Lutcher & Moore Lumber Company that was co-founded by H.J. Lutcher Stark’s grandfather, and it has since become the insignia for the Stark Foundation, the non-profit organization that was established in 1961 by Lutcher Stark and that continues his philanthropic legacy through its programs, including Shangri La.
A selection of sandwiches and salads are available.
Hours of Operation (weather permitting)
The Cafe is open 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Tuesday – Saturday
Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day
Box Lunches for Group Tours
In order to keep tours on schedule, patrons are encouraged to reserve box lunches at our Star and Crescent Moon Cafe instead of leaving the grounds during lunch.
- The Star and Crescent Moon Cafe Boxed Lunches (with pre-arranged tour) include choice of sandwich or salad, chips, fruit, cookie and bottled water for only $8.50, plus tax. View the Adult Box Lunch Menu 2013.
- The Star and Crescent Moon Cafe Children’s Box Lunches (ages 12 and under please, with pre-arranged tour) include choice of sandwich, chips, fruit, cookie and your choice of bottled water or juice box for only $5.50, plus tax. View the Childrens Box Lunch Menu 2013
- Group tours are welcome to order from the menu, but groups of 15 or more are encouraged to order box lunches to ensure prompt service.
- Completed order form with payment in full for boxed lunches is due no less than 7 days prior to arrival. Payment should be made to the Cafe separately from your group tour ticket payments. All sales are final upon payment and may not be refunded or changed.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for menu questions and special requests and email@example.com to order box lunches.
- No outside food or drink, other than bottled water is permitted in Shangri La Botanical Gardens and Nature Center.