Image Rights and Reproductions
The Stark Museum of Art (SMA) provides images for educational presentations, professional research, print and electronic publications, and media projects. These images are available in a number of formats, including digital files, 4 x 5 color transparencies, b/w prints and 35mm slides. Color transparencies are loaned for a three month period. Slides are provided for personal and scholarly use only; reproductions are not permitted from this format.
Fees vary depending on the commercial or non-profit status of the request, the type of material requested and the nature of use and the scope of distribution. Special consideration is given to educational projects and publications. View our Fee Schedule
to learn about our standard image and usage fees. Payment can be made by credit card in U.S. dollars and by money order or check drawn on a U.S. bank, payable to Nelda C. and H.J. Lutcher Stark Foundation.
Requests for permission to reproduce an image must be made to the Administrative Assistant at the Stark Museum of Art and should include:
- Title and artist for the work of art, and the SMA catalogue number, if known.
- Nature of the project and all details of proposed use. For a publication, include title, author, expected date of release, whether it is for commercial, educational, or scholarly use, print run, language(s) in which the publication or project will be distributed, and whether the image will appear on the cover.
- Complete contact information to include name, title, company, address, phone, fax and e-mail
- Type of photography requested
The conditions under which an image from the collection of the Stark Museum of Art may be reproduced are:
- Each image must be reproduced in its entirety unless approved by the Stark Museum of Art. If a detail is approved, the word DETAIL must appear in the credit line and the full image must be reproduced elsewhere in the publication.
- The reproduction must not be cropped, bled off the page, or have anything superimposed on the image. The museum may request color proofs to ensure it is a faithful and accurate reproduction of the original work of art.
- Images appearing on a dust jacket, book cover, calendar or published as an individual reproduction must have prior approval.
- The full credit line supplied by the Stark Museum of Art must appear with the image in printed materials, and at the end-credits on film/video or TV production. Full documentation consists of the artist’s name, title of the work of art, date (if given), medium, dimensions and SMA catalogue number. The credit line, Stark Museum of Art, Orange, Texas, must be displayed with the image.
- Permission to reproduce the image must not be transferred to a third party nor must any photographic materials, its derivatives or digital files be transferred to any other user.
- A complimentary copy of the publication or project in which the museum’s image appears must be sent to Museum Services at the Stark Museum of Art.
Artists or designated assignors may retain copyright to works of art in the Stark Museum of Art collection, and their rights are protected under U.S. copyright laws. Any or all royalty payments or other requirements specified by the copyright owner are the responsibility of the applicant. The SMA grants permission only for the use of color transparencies, b/w prints and digital files obtained from the Stark Museum of Art.
Stark Museum of Art
712 Green Avenue
Orange, Texas 77630-5721
Phone: 409.886.ARTS (2787)